First, we start off with a pie dough recipe which you can optionally infuse with the Havarti cheese of your choice (we’re thinking Dofino Havarti with Basil or Jalapeño can both work out very well here). Once you have your own pie dough ready, put it to use with the healthy Red and Golden Beet Tart recipe to follow.
Now, I know some of you may be thinking, “Beets aren’t very delicious!” Well, this recipe may have you change your mind. What’s more is that beets are loaded with antioxidants and Havarti is inherently a healthy cheese. Looks like a win-win situation to us!
Be sure to visit Dofino for more Havarti cheese recipes. With over 15 pages of recipes (and growing), there’s sure to be something to please even the most selective taste buds!
Sure, you can buy pizza dough in the store or pick some up from a local bakery, but making it yourself is quick, easy, and grounds for ultimate bragging rights. This dough works great with this pizza recipe…
Prep: 15 Cook: 30 Total: 45 minutes
2 cups all purpose flour
¾ teaspoon salt
7 ounces (14 tablespoons) Lurpak® Unsalted Butter
- In food processor bowl, combine flour, salt, and butter. Process until mixture becomes a coarse meal.
- With machine on, add ¼ cup of ice water in a steady stream. Test dough, if dry, then add remaining water one tablespoon at a time until dough pulls together.
- Transfer dough onto a lightly floured surface. Pat into a rectangle, wrap, and refrigerate for one hour or until ready to use.
Red and Golden Beet Cheese Tart
Beets are packed with antioxidants and, of course, flavor. Paired with goat cheese, Havarti with Dill, and Saga Blue Brie, this handmade tart offers sophisticated gourmet flavor any day of the week. Here is the recipe for the pie dough we use below…
Prep: 20 Cook: 25 Total: 45 minutes
All-purpose flour, for dusting
1 recipe pie dough
1 ½ pounds (without greens) red and golden beets
2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil, plus more for drizzling
1 pound soft goat cheese, room temperature
½ cup (2 ounces) grated Saga® Blue Brie
1 cup (4 ounces) grated Dofino® Havarti with Dill
2 teaspoons finely chopped fresh thyme,
plus about 1 teaspoon whole leaves
Freshly ground pepper
Pan: 9 X 13-inch rimmed baking sheet
- Preheat oven to 375°F. On a lightly floured surface, roll pastry into 13 x 17-inch rectangle. Transfer to a 9 x 13-inch sheet pan, leaving a 1-inch overhang on all sides. Tuck edges of dough under to create a double thickness; press firmly against pan. Prick dough with a fork. Refrigerate 30 minutes.
- Cover dough with parchment or foil, leaving a ½-inch rim uncovered around the edge. Scatter pie weights or dried beans over paper and bake until golden brown, about 30 minutes. Remove weights and parchment. Let shell cool completely. (Leave oven on.)
- Trim all but 1 inch of stems from beets; rinse. Toss with oil and 1 teaspoon salt. Transfer to baking sheet; cover tightly with foil and roast until tender, 45 to 60 minutes. When cool enough to handle, peel beets and cut into thin rounds.
- Raise oven temperature to 425°F. Combine goat cheese, Saga® Blue Brie, ½ cup Dofino® Havarti, and chopped thyme. Season with pepper. Spread mixture evenly over pastry.
- Arrange beets over cheese mixture, overlapping slices slightly and alternating colors. Sprinkle remaining Dofino® Havarti and thyme leaves on top. Drizzle with olive oil, and season with salt and pepper. Bake until golden brown, about 25 minutes. Serve warm.