Cheese and beer! What more can we say? If this soup doesn’t make you feel happy then what will? Cheese, beer, mushrooms…what a creamy, flavorful soup this is going to be. (See video at the end of this Beer Cheese Soup With Mushrooms recipe.)
What you’ll need:
- 1 pound brown mushrooms
- 1 medium onion
- 1/2 cup butter
- Pinch salt
- 1/2 cup flour
- 2 cups chicken or vegetable broth
- 2 12-ounce bottles of beer, lager or amber ale
- 2 cups heavy whipping cream
- 1 tablespoon spicy brown mustard
- 6 cups (16 ounces) Butterkäse Cheese, coarsely grated and loosely packed
- 1 1/2 cups (6 ounces) medium Cheddar Cheese, shredded
- Clean and stem brown mushrooms. Cut in quarters and place half in food processor and finely chop. Repeat with remaining half.
- Chop onion into large pieces, place in food processor. Pulse about 5 to 10 times or until finely chopped.
- In large Dutch oven, melt butter over medium heat. Add mushrooms and onions. Season to taste with salt. Cook for about 10 minutes or until moisture evaporates from mushrooms, stirring frequently.
- Sprinkle flour over cooked vegetables. Cook 3 to 5 minutes, stirring often. Add broth and beer and cook for 15 minutes at a low boil. Add cream and mustard and cook, stirring occasionally, until soup has thickened, about 20 minutes. Add Butterkäse and Cheddar cheeses and stir until melted. Garnish with more cheese and chopped chives. Serve immediately.